Old Leather Bull Dog, Made in England,......WW2 Vintage?

In Animals > Dogs > Show & Tell and Figurines > Show & Tell.
Dogs60 of 194Dog decorated drinking glassesScotty Dog Table Cigarette lighter

DrFluffyDrFluffy loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.

Posted 7 months ago

Budek

Hello Friends,
I hope you're all well.
Today was my first day out shopping, really shopping, in a month. Work is crazy and I've been a bear.
I found this at a shop in Orleans. The woman thought it was a Yale Bull-dog and priced it pretty high. She came down quite a lot and I took the bait,................but I think it's wonderful!
I thought it could be WW2 Vintage, it's looks pretty darn old.
Hopefully someone can tell me more about it,....age and maker?

Thanks for taking a look,
T.

Comments

1. SEAN68 SEAN68, 7 months ago
    I know who made these:) Omersa & Co and this could be very very close:) stunning dog my friend:)
  2. Budek Budek, 7 months ago
    WOW! Sean, Thank You!!!
    What an eye you have!
    nice pic, you handsome devil:)
    I hope you're having a good night,.......T
  3. SEAN68 SEAN68, 7 months ago
    your very welcome tony:) Thankyou for the nice comment :) and you have agreat weekend as well:)
  4. vetraio50 vetraio50, 7 months ago
    Some history here about Omersa & Co.:
    And
    Animal Hospital
  5. Bootson Bootson, 7 months ago
    One of the coolest things made out of leather I have seen recently. About how big is it?
  6. Budek Budek, 7 months ago
    Thanks for the loves Kevin, Amber, Dr Fluffy, Kerry, and Manikin.
    and Thanks for the kind comments Kevin and Bootson.
    Do you think it really is an early Omersa piece? It was difficult to tell from the site without a similar bull dog to compare it to.
    and Bootson, it's approximately 6+1/2" long, 4+1/4" high, glad you liked it!
    Best to All,
    Tony.
  7. Budek Budek, 7 months ago
    Hi,
    I sent a few photos off to Omersa, Hopefully I'll get a response,
    if I do I'll be sure to post it.
    Thanks for all of the help,
    T
  8. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 7 months ago
    When I read your post I immediately connected British troops, bull dogs and the Mack truck. British troops in France during WWI were responsible for the bull dog becoming the mascot for the Mack line of vehicles. The mascot didn't actually appear until around 1930's as I recall but was very popular. I wondered if this might be in some way connected. I believe Mack has an online history archive if all else fails to produce a lead.
  9. Budek Budek, 7 months ago
    Thanks fhrjr2, I like where this is going,....thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Have a great week-end,
    Tony
  10. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 7 months ago
    As I recall the British troops actually had a bull dog as their unit mascot and somehow referred to it by name along with comparing the Mack truck to a bull dog that could go anywhere when everything else failed. Long ago I researched it but have lost most of what I once knew.
  11. SEAN68 SEAN68, 7 months ago
    Your awesome fhrjr2 for sharing the info:)
  12. Budek Budek, 7 months ago
    Thanks Sarahoff!
  13. vetraio50 vetraio50, 7 months ago
    Don't forget the Churchillian references to Bulldogs!

Skyfall too!

The Russians referred to him as the "British Bulldog".

Royal Doulton did quite a couple few versions of a Bulldog.

There's Charles Noke's 1941 Model D.5913 draped in the Union Jack and designs by Frederick Daws.
    Here's a good link on the topic:

"The patriotic British bulldog has become an icon once again thanks to his desk appearance in the James Bond movie Skyfall. He is the prized possession of M and survives a bomb to be bequeathed to Bond."

14. Budek Budek, 7 months ago
    Thanks again, Petey!
  15. Zowie Zowie, 7 months ago
    He looks how i feel today real put out of place.
  16. inky inky, 7 months ago
    Love him Budek..wonderful face...:-)
  17. rocker-sd rocker-sd, 7 months ago
    Wow, another great Bulldog. It will be interesting to see if you hear back from the Imersa Co. Your bulldog is constructed differently than the Bulldog displayed on their site. Yours seems to be heavier leather that is almost folded in origami style, while the Imersa pieces almost appear to be made like stuffed animals from pigskin. We are off on another great "Unsolved Mystery"
  18. Budek Budek, 7 months ago
    Thanks for your kindness Mike, Pops, Charcoal, Zowie, Inky, Rocker and Ho2,
    and Thanks for the wonderful comments.
    Rocker, I did hear back from Omersa and the woman there confirmed that it was not one of their pieces, but she was very intrigued by it and would be in touch if she learned anything more about it. Thanks for the kind comment,
    best wishes for a great Autumn week-end,
    Tony.
  19. SEAN68 SEAN68, 7 months ago
    Your welcome Tony and I swear , I really thought it was one of there pieces:)
  20. Budek Budek, 7 months ago
    Sean, you gave a very good lead where I was able to get some information,....maybe more in time, You were a BIG help to me, Thank You!
  21. Zowie Zowie, 7 months ago
    Budek it's always the ones you least expect to take off that does. Nice peice in unusual.