Bakelite fruitknifes from Solingen Germany

In Kitchen > Show & Tell.
Kitchen270 of 7401What you two talkin Bout now Just purchased Cynthia Bringle tea pot

jbingham95jbingham95 loves this.
fhrjr2fhrjr2 loves this.
Vynil33rpmVynil33rpm loves this.
racer4fourracer4four loves this.
NewfldNewfld loves this.

Posted 9 months ago

Elisabethan

I was in need of some small knifes for cheese, fruit and such. Great if you have an outdoors picnic with family or friends. Everyone has their own knife :) Being the bakelite junky that I am I found two sets of bakelite fruit knifes by Solingen Germany at an onlineauction. Unfortunately without their stands but I would not use those anyway so it doesn't matter. I love them. Great conversation topic as well since people notice them straight away. Art deco candy :)

Greatful for more information on when they were made. Different sellers say 1930's - 1950's on similar knifes? From what I find online Solingen steel, used in making knives, scissors, razors, and surgical instruments, is world famous for its excellence and Solingen has been known for its fine blades since the Middle Age but I can't find any information on what firm made these knifes and when. The yellow set has a more distinct mark and the word "Salto". See photo. Thanks!

logo
    Kitchen
    14.5'' Dutch Oven Pot Cast Iron Lid Vintage Cooking Camping Stove 9 Qt
    14.5'' Dutch Oven Pot Cast ...
    $66
    Antique Cobalt Blue Double Bennington Birds Decorated Stoneware Jug Albany NY NR
    Antique Cobalt Blue Double Benningt...
    $563
    BURGER CHEF HAMBURGERS 2" x 3" Fridge MAGNET vintage Art FAST FOOD
    BURGER CHEF HAMBURGERS 2" x 3&#...
    $7
    Vintage TV Show EMERGENCY Lunchbox 2" x 3" Fridge MAGNET
    Vintage TV Show EMERGENCY Lunchbox ...
    $7
    logo
    14.5'' Dutch Oven Pot Cast Iron Lid Vintage Cooking Camping Stove 9 Qt
    14.5'' Dutch Oven Pot Cast ...
    $66

Comments

1. Newfld Newfld, 9 months ago
      Beautiful knife set, the colorful bakelite holder part has such a wonderful cheerful pattern
    2. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 9 months ago
      Thankyou Newfld! Yes I also think they look cheerful, happy and fun :)
    3. racer4four racer4four, 9 months ago
      These just make me smile and wish for a picnic, with you, and cutting some fruit.
      Delightful.
    4. Vynil33rpm Vynil33rpm, 9 months ago
      Very nice
    5. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 9 months ago
      Information on Solingen is out there but difficult to find. Solingen was very heavily bombed out during WWII. Factories leveled and records gone with them. I think you can safely forget 1930's because we had an embargo act in effect. 1950's is a stretch but closer. I would think more 1960's or newer. Factories weren't rebuilt over night. Also keep in mind that being marked Solingen only applies to the steel. The steel could have been exported to any country for use in cutlery. Henckels cutlery is a perfect example. They are out of Germany also and have the oldest known registered trademark in the world. However, in modern times much of their cutlery is actually made in Mexico. Regardless, Solingen steel is among the finest in the world.
    6. lptools, 9 months ago
      Those are so cool!! Thanks for posting!!
    7. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 9 months ago
      Racer4four Thanks, that would be nice, picnic with CW friends. Thanks for your charming coment.
    8. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 9 months ago
      Thanks vinyl33rpm for nice coment!
    9. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 9 months ago
      Fhrjr2 Thanks for interesting information. I don't have knowledge about what emargos was in effect between countrys in Europe before and after the war. I don't live in the US so the "we" probably don't apply here but ofcourse we might have been affected by or bound by other nations embargos on Germany. Anyway if these were made after the war there should be info out there on largest manufacturers on such knifes. Great to know it is good quality steel. Thanks for interesting thoughts and insight.
    10. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 9 months ago
      Iptools Thanks for nice coment!

Thanks everyone who has payed attention to this post!
    11. valentino97 valentino97, 9 months ago
      These are so gorgeous! What a nice find! I thought 1930-50's but appreciate fhrjr2 comments. The 2-tone bakelite looks at least as old as 1950's to me however I don't own or could afford and respect his expertise. Also would like to say right now - fhrjr2 is a wonderful expert and always like hearing his knowledge.
      They are very nice and collectible and not easy to find here. LOVE them my friend!
    12. valentino97 valentino97, 9 months ago
      I don't know about the metal - but LOVE these 2-tone bakelite handles!
    13. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 9 months ago
      Thanks dear friend Valentino :)
    14. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 9 months ago
      Thanks to everyone for loving this post!