Tacky souvenirs? Cheap dime store decor? 50's kitsch?

In Figurines > Show & Tell and Animals > Flamingos > Show & Tell.
Figurines624 of 3448Red Fox HallmarkIs this Capodimonte?

Junkman60Junkman60 loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
Virginia.vintageVirginia.vintage loves this.
valentino97valentino97 loves this.
artfootartfoot loves this.
TimeTravellerTimeTraveller loves this.

Nursekent

I started collecting flamingo figurines about 30 plus years ago. The first one I found while on vacation in St. Pete, Florida. Stopped at a junk shop in an old gas station. There it was a Maddux of California flamingo planter, sitting in the glass block window. The flamingo bug got me. I've hoarded a mass collection, made up of Brad Keeler, Maddux of California, Will George and Made in Japan plus a few other makers. A lot of the figurines fell over and broke, so if you buy any, check out the necks for repairs. Mine are all perfect. My grandmother had a pair in her China cabinet, back in the 60's. She said she bought them at the dimestore, she threw them in the garbage after having them for awhile. Too bad I didn't appreciate flamingo figurines back then.

logo
    Figurines
    Herend Hungary Black Fishnet Penguins on Ice Hand Painted Porcelain Figurine MAG
    Herend Hungary Black Fishnet Pengui...
    $169
    Antique Volkstedt Dresden Porcelain/ Lace Figurine Hand Painted As Is
    Antique Volkstedt Dresden Porcelain...
    $89
    Rare Antique Disney Figurines Full Bee Hummel Mickey Mouse & Goebel Donald Duck
    Rare Antique Disney Figurines Full ...
    $36
    Herend Hungary Blue Fishnet Elephant Trunk Up Handpainted Porcelain Figurine MAG
    Herend Hungary Blue Fishnet Elephan...
    $110
    logo
    Herend Hungary Black Fishnet Pengui...
    $169

Comments

1. valentino97 valentino97, 2 years ago
      Wow and thanks! You know you have an incredible collection here! My mentors when I was 20 in 1980 were Dennis and Linda who also collected these. They also had the mirrored Turner prints (still have them) Some of yours are from the 1940's which you know. Seeing these beauties displayed in this pretty cabinet - JUST GORGEOUS!!
    2. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
      Maybe it's time we have a contest on who has the tackiest thing in their collection. I won the worst painting.
    3. valentino97 valentino97, 2 years ago
      These aren't tacky. BB2 - you don't have a bad painting either :-)
    4. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
      I donated that painting to Irma. LOL !
    5. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
      Did you know that flamingos in the States migrate to Cuba, - & don't fly back. The ones you see in FL have their wings clipped so they can't fly to Cuba.
    6. Cpomedx Cpomedx, 2 years ago
      Ok, we are now officially jealous. Not so numerous down here in australia, never the less we love flamingoes. That's an awesome collection.
    7. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 2 years ago
      I got my friend addicted and gave my collection to him. He lives on Flamingo Cres. I got some rare large ones also, 15 inches and higher. Also had a flamingo lamp with real feathers. I just have the large one about 14 inches with 5 flamingos together made in Romania.
    8. valentino97 valentino97, 2 years ago
      Phil - do you have a picture of the lamp with the feathers? I haven't seen that! Post your Romanian flamingo please.
    9. Quantumphysica Quantumphysica, 2 years ago
      This is impressive and kind of amazing, and a lot of hipster girls would be screaming jealous of this collection. A part of me would love to see some sort of diorama with all of these ^_^
    10. ho2cultcha ho2cultcha, 2 years ago
      wow! i've heard that it is incorrect to say a 'flock of flamingos' and that one of the correct terms is a 'flamboyance of flamingos'! you have quite the flamboyance of flamingos!
    11. rocker-sd rocker-sd, 2 years ago
      What's the flocks wrong with Flock?
    12. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
      O-h-o-o-o-o !
    13. Cheeboy, 2 years ago
      Impressive collection. Do you happen to have any of the Will-George statues distributed at the opening night of the Flamingo Hotel in 1946?
    14. Junkman60 Junkman60, 2 years ago
      Wonderful collection. I used to own a close to 400 figurines and had Turner prints and mirrors as well The looked good in my circa 1920s Spanish house on the river
    15. Nursekent Nursekent, 2 years ago
      I wish I did have the Will George figurines that were given out. I believe they were marked Flamingo Hotel. I do have the Turner mirrors and prints, the aluminum outdoor statues, small and large, salt and peppers... etc. Thanks for the compliment.