Unknown orange bowl

In Art Glass > Show & Tell.
Art Glass157 of 19896Kaj Franck for Nuutajärvi Notsjö Iconic design.I DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT IS ? HELP ME.

Ranger13Ranger13 loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
NewfldNewfld loves this.
BroochmanBroochman loves this.
jscott0363jscott0363 loves this.

Posted 2 months ago

racer4four

My family gave me this bowl a couple of years ago as a present, and for obvious reasons I think it's great.
    The awesome orange glass, cased in clear, is so wonderfully moulded. The pattern on the narrow part of the body is like scales, and they open up as the body widens.
    It's beautifully made and finished.

I doubt it's Japanese, and have yet to find where it was made. I have asked around and others have it in grey, and clear, but don't know from whence it came.

I have thought maybe American and that's an area of glass I know very little about! Any ideas all?

Comments

1. jscott0363 jscott0363, 2 months ago
      I do love the color of this lovely bowl. I also really love your new profile pic!
    2. Broochman Broochman, 2 months ago
      Gorgeous orange!! Such a nice gift to receive. Love the bird too! :)
    3. Newfld Newfld, 2 months ago
      Amazing bold orange color, and the bowl has a wonderful design as if encased in ice - lovely gift from your family! Is that your pet cockatoo I hope, a beauty :)
    4. vetraio50 vetraio50, 2 months ago
      Looks bit like Whitefriars.
    5. IronLace IronLace, 2 months ago
      Yes, I thought Whitefriars too, the style reminds Geoffrey Baxter's 60s designs. But this is not really my area either!
    6. inky inky, 2 months ago
      Lushes colour!...Swedish?...:-)
    7. racer4four racer4four, 2 months ago
      Thanks Scott, orange is yummy.
      It's not my sulphur crested cockatoo, but we have these visiting us daily. Currently they are successfully defeating my attempts to stop them pulling the rubber strips out of my flyscreens and front window. Awesome birds, but too smart and they constantly behave like a terrible two year old child.
    8. racer4four racer4four, 2 months ago
      Thanks Jenny and Ken. See my comments above regarding the cockie!
    9. racer4four racer4four, 2 months ago
      Thanks Vet and IL for the comments. I have had a look at WF and can't quite find this one. I'll keep looking.
    10. racer4four racer4four, 2 months ago
      It's got that 60s Scandi vibe I know Inky! Still looking.....
    11. getthatmonkeyoutofme getthatmonkeyoutofme, 2 months ago
      Riihimaen i believe?
      Looks like Nanny Still fo me...
    12. racer4four racer4four, 2 months ago
      Thanks Monkey for the guidance. Glad you know stuff!
    13. inky inky, 1 month ago
      Similar to yours?.. https://www.etsy.com/nz/listing/250879824/scandinavian-midcentury-modern-orange?ga_order=date_desc&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=glass+vase&ref=sr_gallery-30-5&organic_search_click=1&frs=1
    14. SEAN68 SEAN68, 1 month ago
      im thinking Viking ???
    15. keramikos keramikos, 1 month ago
      racer4four, Beautiful.

I've been eying this on and off since you posted it. I've used all kinds of search criteria, plus trying to hold my mouth right, but no joy so far.

I agree with those who say it has a Scandinavian vibe. I'd go further to say it has an Iittala Ultima Thule vibe, but obviously it isn't that.

The popularity of Scandinavian glass has led to a lot of imitators, but that doesn't necessarily make them all cheap knock-offs.

Whoever made your bowl made a knock-out. :-)
    16. racer4four racer4four, 30 days ago
      Sean I have had a look at Viking but can't find this shape. Thanks for the direction!
    17. racer4four racer4four, 30 days ago
      Lol Keramikos, the mouth should have done it!
      It is a fab piece and great quality, and yes, a Scandi vibe to it. Thanks for trying to find the origin of it, I am really keen to know.
      It was bought here in Australia, and on a glass FB page two others said they had it in grey, and clear, both in the States. The grey and clear sounds more Scandi than American to me but I haven't found it yet!
      I've tried most Scandi brands and some German as well, no good.
      Ah well, I'll just enjoy it and one day I will find out. That's often the glass way, no?
    18. SEAN68 SEAN68, 30 days ago
      your welcome Karen, im thinking American because ive seen bottoms like that before. or it could be morgan town glass ?
    19. racer4four racer4four, 29 days ago
      Thanks Sean, American glass is where I am still looking. Checking Morgan Town now.
    20. SEAN68 SEAN68, 28 days ago