The Rado watch company grew out of the Schlup & Co. clockwork factory, which was established in Lengnau Switzerland in 1917. At first the company only produced watch movements, but in 1957 the business launched its first line of complete Rado watches, and in 1962, the Rado DiaStar 1 was introduced, the first scratchproof watch made from a specially engineered hardened metal.
During the 1980s, Rado experimented with a variety of materials in its watch designs, particularly the use of ceramic composites. In 1986, Rado became the first manufacturer to create a wristwatch with a high-tech ceramic bracelet; it was called the Integral. In the 1990s, the company expanded its line of ceramic watches to include those made of cermet, a titanium and ceramic hybrid material. Rado watches have since incorporated a variety of innovative materials, including a high-tech diamond substance that is as resilient and strong as natural diamonds.