Six Inch Chunk of Petrified Wood From HolBrook Arizona

In Fine Jewelry > Rocks and Minerals > Show & Tell.
Rocks and Minerals7 of 180Old cut stone Unusual old stone

blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
scottvezscottvez loves this.
JImamJImam loves this.
nutsabotas6nutsabotas6 loves this.

Posted 1 month ago

fortapache

This is a chunk of petrified wood from the area around the Petrified Forest of north eastern Arizona. No one is permitted to take samples from the national park but it is said there is more petrified wood outside than inside the park. There are many rock shops and Indian trading posts and some that are combined.
The Petrified Forest is from the late Triassic period from 225 million years ago. That is the earliest age of dinosaurs back when the largest was 20 feet long. That would have been Plateosaurus.
The polished pieces of petrified wood are the most prized but I prefer those in their natural states.
I bought this at the little rock shop in photo 3. Sadly the shop in photo 4 is out of business but with such a great sign hopefully someone will move in soon. The shops are in Holbrook, Az which is great stop along Route 66.

Comments

1. flashlarue, 1 month ago
    It seem like every other building along the main drag in Holbrook is a rock shop. The prices on petrified wood in the shops have really gone up in the last few years
  2. cameosleuth cameosleuth, 1 month ago
    I have always wanted to see the Petrified Forest, although unlikely I'll ever get there. Interesting rocks make such great mementos of the places they came from. To this day, which is many, many days later, I still treasure a piece of fossilized coral given to me when I was a young child by an older couple who were family friends. Think it too came from the American Southwest, maybe the Sedona area? It has that red rock color.
  3. PostCardCollector PostCardCollector, 1 month ago
    Oddly, I have lived In Arizona for decades but never got up to Holbrook. I like to see the rock displays and the State Fair--some spectacular cases are set up there.
    The only rock I have is a concretion (sp) which was created by water running over it forming a strange shape. It is maybe millions of years old. When it manifest here again---I'll put it on. My house is in "overload" at this time. I can't remember which room it is in!
  4. AnythingObscure AnythingObscure, 1 month ago
    Absolutely agree that you got a beautiful sample of petrified wood -- but my favorite pic in this post is that big POW WOW TRADING POST sign...I'm betting (guessing?) it once might have been lettered "MOTEL" instead of "ROCKS"...?
  5. fortapache fortapache, 1 month ago
    That you very much flashlarue. Sounds like you have been there. Prices are high especially on the polished stuff.
  6. fortapache fortapache, 1 month ago
    Thank you very much cameosleuth. Sadly I missed it but hope to go there again and stay at the wigwam motel.
  7. fortapache fortapache, 1 month ago
    Thank you very much PostCardCollector. I have had a thing or two I have wanted to post but can't find. It's around here someplace.
  8. fortapache fortapache, 1 month ago
    Thank you very much AnythingObscure. You are right. It says TV-Refrigerator at the bottom of the sign. There must have been a motel there.
  9. fortapache fortapache, 1 month ago

PhilDMorris
    SEAN68
    mikelv85
  12. vintagelamp vintagelamp, 1 month ago
    Love the shops also!!!
  13. fortapache fortapache, 1 month ago
    Thank you very much vintagelamp. The shops are the best part.