Vintage Red clay puppets Origin unknown 8 inch

In Toys > Puppets > Show & Tell.
Puppets3 of 98Talking Boris Toy SkullBaby doll hand puppet

officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.
JImamJImam loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
NewfldNewfld loves this.
VioletOrangeVioletOrange loves this.

Posted 4 months ago

Vintage Red clay puppets Origin unknown 8 inch tall with a wire that comes out of top of head to move them about , they seem to be a set that was for a particular story . From pilots a cowboy and clown among them . I have had these at at least 20 years acquired at a auction house in a box lot . They have alway made me wonder if they are part of a story that was told and they also appear crudely made but perhaps a cottage industry item . I was thinking maybe Mexico but I have no clue . Any idea's ? I would be glad to hear them . I am speculating around 1960's ?

1. Newfld Newfld, 4 months ago
    Manikin they are so artistic & interesting, I agree they were probably made to tell a story as the top wires make me think they were held from above like puppets. We get the Brazilian channel on our cable & they love to make creative dolls like these

2. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 4 months ago
    I love the dress in particular, they seem well dressed, so I am hoping it was a very happy story, with no violence. These type of figures seem hard to get, and it was not big where I came from so we never seen any real shows except on television. These are great to collect and interest peaks through the roof !~
  3. nutsabotas6 nutsabotas6, 4 months ago
    They're so different and quirky...I love them very much !!!
    Thanks for sharing :) !
  4. kyratango kyratango, 4 months ago
    Ooohh! Cool and interesting, Mani! Love them all :-D
  5. Manikin Manikin, 4 months ago
    Newfld many thanks for stopping and leaving the nice comment :-)

nutsabotas6 Thank you so much for stopping and leaving a delightful comment :-)

kyratango, Thank you ! Not quite as wonderful as your jewelry but so great to see you xo
  6. Manikin Manikin, 4 months ago
    Phil I always appreciate your comments and you I agree I don't think it was a story about violence looks more like a old fashion fable perhaps . Love seeing you as always
  7. Manikin Manikin, 4 months ago
    Many Thank you's you all you that stopped to appreciate my puppets I always am happy to see you and your posts :-)
  8. Manikin Manikin, 4 months ago
    Thank all of that stopped I appreciate each of you :-)
    Hunter- nice to see you stopped in Hunter :-)
  9. mcheconi mcheconi, 4 months ago
    They are cute!
  10. shareurpassion shareurpassion, 4 months ago
    My first thought was Mexico too, then I thought nah...until I saw the hats! I think you're right. Love the flower power pantelones and checks...lol So cute. I wonder what story they would tell?
  11. Manikin Manikin, 4 months ago
    I wish I knew their story they told also Shareurpassion and always a pleasure to have your thoughts on post . xo

mcheconi thank you for stopping in what a nice surprise to see you :-)
  12. kerry10456 kerry10456, 3 months ago
    Howdy good looking....sneaked in CW tp answer a question and had to stop by to say Howdy and Seasons Greetings to you and yours...big hugs Kerry
  13. Manikin Manikin, 3 months ago
    Howdy Kerry sure miss you on CW . Hope your Christmas is filled with lots of watches ,love and good health ! xo