Romadka Brothers True Cross Slat trunk 1880's

In Furniture > Trunks > Show & Tell.
Trunks1031 of 1958Barrel Stave TrunkSlatted Brass Band Jenny Lind Just Finished

melaniejmelaniej loves this.
mikelv85mikelv85 loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
JewelsJewels loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.

trunkman

Every once in a while I come across an exceptional trunk. This is one example of beautiful hardware. This is a leather bound trunk that has beautiful craftsmanship throughout. I am not sure of the proper term for it -- cross slat ??-- well it must be because it has a cross on one of its slats... This trunk has some French influence somehow as there are "fluers de lis" on the slat clamps -- the whole thing looks "Count of Monte Cristo" ish...A magnificent find at the cost of a regular flat top. Sweet...

Comments

1. SEAN68 SEAN68, 3 years ago
    stunning trunk!!!
  2. trunkman trunkman, 3 years ago
    Thanks sean -- appreciate your comments... well.. actually look forward to them... come to think of it, I depend on them now.... LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE!!!! LOL
  3. SEAN68 SEAN68, 3 years ago
    your very welcome trunkman!!
  4. Jewels Jewels, 3 years ago
    Very nice!
  5. Drill Drill, 3 years ago
    Trunkman nice trunk pal you know I love it love it. Like the darker look .
  6. trunkman trunkman, 3 years ago
    Jewels and Drill -- thanks for the comments... much appreciated...
  7. trunkman trunkman, 3 years ago
    Patsea -- thanks for the love :)
  8. trunkman trunkman, 3 years ago
    Walksoftly -- thanks for the love...
  9. Drill Drill, 3 years ago
    Wonderful new picture of you too T-man,looks like you should be tooling around on
    the French Riviera ,or about to ascend the Matterhorn or something.Great look,better than the fish.Kidding pal.
  10. trunkman trunkman, 3 years ago
    I was actually a mad racer in the Dominican Republic until my atv blew a ti-rod and I ended up in a ditch! Got a cool bandana out of the adventure... let's not even talk about the horseback riding day...
  11. trunkman trunkman, 3 years ago
    Thanks so much Phil... and kudo's to you and your fab collection of art deco... the "joy of discovery" keeps us all in the game... wish you were close by to take some great pics of these for me... can't even get the lighting right -- never mind the cheap camera... Cheers!
  12. shareurpassion shareurpassion, 3 years ago
    Funny that you said magnificent! That's exactly what I was thinking...because it really is!
  13. trunkman trunkman, 3 years ago
    shareurpassion -- thanks for the great comment --
  14. jscott0363 jscott0363, 3 years ago
    Trunkman, That is one SWEET trunk!! My personal favorites are leather covered and this one is incredible!! And it still has the key with it too, amazing! You did good T-Man!!
  15. myoldkyhome myoldkyhome, 3 years ago
    Another beautiful find. I don't know how you do it! Love it!
  16. hmsantiquetrunks.com hmsantiquetrunks.com, 3 years ago
    Very nice. Any chance I can see the inside? Also a picture of the front would be great too. It looks like someone replaced the lock and latch as as that is not a trunk key.
    Jim
    hmsantiquetrunks.com
  17. trunkman trunkman, 3 years ago
    Thanks for the nice comment Jim -- well nothing will get past you... which is a good thing -- yes that is a replacement lock (new in old fashion style) and a repair around it where someone broke the entire front section to open it -- still have an original part of a "gold" double lock top piece. Whoever did the wood repair did a nice job of it.. dang this site for only 4 pics... so limited -- the interior is empty and rather mundane.. that close up of the medallion is center lower front. I am tight for time but over the week I will try to post a front shot... thanks Jim I look forward to your comments...
  18. trunkman trunkman, 3 years ago
    Thanks officialfuel, TheGateKeeper, myoldkyhome, jscott0363, fortapache and JonB for the love...
  19. passion4trunks passion4trunks, 3 years ago
    I can't say any thing more that what has been said, but I will. I want this trunk.
  20. hmsantiquetrunks.com hmsantiquetrunks.com, 3 years ago
    I had a hunch it would of had a double lock on it. I believe I know who the maker was. In Nov 9 1875 AV Romadka (Romadka Trunks) was granted a patent (#8784) for the pattern of embossed metal on your trunk. Romadka did not share their patents or unique hardware with other makers and I have yet to see any trunks other than Romadka using that metal. Romadka trunks were over the top (which is why they are my favorite) and this trunk fits the bill. There are other clues that may be gained from an interior photo as well. Are there swivel casters on the bottom? I also think it is interesting that many makers sometimes modified existing parts for other purposes, ie; the badge on the front was once a slat clamp that they simply broke off the mounting ears and used as a badge. If you look close you can see the ragged edge where the pieces were broken off and they did not even bother to clean up the edge.
    Jim
    hmsantiquetrunks.com
  21. trunkman trunkman, 3 years ago
    Jim -- that is just fabulous information -- to have an idea of maker based on what you see and know is a great source of learning. The interior is very plain paper with a tray that has two pegs at the back so you can lift it from the front like a hatchback. I will post and interior pic hopefully this week. I will now go look up Ramadka Brothers and learn some more. A gracious thank you for your input.
  22. trunkman trunkman, 3 years ago
    passion4trunks -- isn't it great just to say it outright!!! LOVE the comment!!
  23. trunkman trunkman, 3 years ago
    Thanks FatBoy64, CindB, driggs63, trunkingforfun and passion4trunks for the love....
  24. trunkman trunkman, 3 years ago
    Manikin-- thanks for the love...
  25. trunkman trunkman, 3 years ago
    Thanks Drill and Fatboy64 for the love...
  26. trunkman trunkman, 3 years ago