Miniature Budgie Figurine

In Figurines > Show & Tell.
Figurines496 of 2956Austrian BronzeJugtown ware rooster

WandlessfairyWandlessfairy loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.

Posted 11 months ago

TassieDevil

Hello everyone.
Called into an antique shop over Christmas that we only get to visit maybe twice a year and spotted this interesting small object in the very first cabinet I looked in. I asked the girl behind the counter if she could tell me what it was...which she couldn't.....so when she opened the cabinet and I took it out I could see it was a bird.
The tag had "cold painted parrot $25.00" written on it.
I had to have him.....he is a budgie I think, and he is only 5cm (2") tall and he is quite a weight at 72 gm.
I have searched everywhere on him for a maker's mark but have found nothing. There is a mark on the base of 329.......I don't know if this should be a clue??
I know it is difficult with just a picture, but can anyone hazzard a guess as to whether it is made of bronze, spelter or something else?
Would really appreciate your thoughts on this one as I don't have a clue.....he is not attracted to a magnet......and I don't have anything to compare it to........I just know that it is the cutest little thing and I love it!! Hope you do too, thanks, Judy

Comments

1. Efesgirl Efesgirl, 11 months ago
    Adorable! He has a seam line, I see. What I do to determine if something is bronze is sand off a bit of the patina on the bottom. If I find a reddish glow, then it's bronze.
  2. Efesgirl Efesgirl, 11 months ago
    Definitely a Budgie. A little boy. The 329 is likely to be the mold/model number.
  3. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 11 months ago
    Thanks Bonnie.....I just sanded a part of the base and nothing has changed it is still a real silvery lead look and quite soft too..........thanks for looking for me......
  4. jscott0363 jscott0363, 11 months ago
    Judy,
    What an INCREDIBLE find at an AMAZING price!!!! I have several cold painted pieces and this one is wonderful. Lucky you!!! Happy Holidays!!!
  5. fleafinder fleafinder, 11 months ago
    very cool jud whats cold painted by the way jus out of curiosity
  6. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 11 months ago
    Hey Scott, thank you for such an enthusiastic response!!!
    I have looked again at your pieces which I love very much. This may be a silly question but is it likely that the actual bird might be cold painted bronze but the base made of something else??
    I don't know.......I have been going around in circles since I got him with looking and researching.......I think I am pretty much done now.....I will just enjoy him now as I love him very much and glad you do too. I will just call him painted metal for the moment lol........Enjoy your holiday time too.....get some R&R!
  7. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 11 months ago
    Ah FleaF.....I had to look up what "cold painted" is in relation to this type of ornament too so I will just put the link on for you to have a read if that's ok.......

8. racer4four racer4four, 11 months ago
    It's a beautifully moulded piece Judy. Class.
  9. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 11 months ago
    Thanks Karen, glad you think so, I think it is pretty classy too!.....I really don't care who made it, but would be nice to know what cold painted "something" it is.........and if it has some age.......

Hope you are getting some R&R time at the moment and not back to work already!
  10. Celiene Celiene, 11 months ago
    Bergman?

11. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 11 months ago
    Hi Celiene, thank you for doing a bit of searching too for this one..........would be nice if it was but as there are no marks, and I am a real learner with this sort of thing, I wouldn't be able to call it either way unfortunately........but I do appreciate your help, thanks.
  12. racer4four racer4four, 11 months ago
    Lol Judy. Back to work tomorrow and Friday, outdoors 12 hours a day, just when it's going to be 42. I may not be able to speak or type by the end of it......
  13. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 11 months ago
    OMG Karen I do hope it doesn't make it to that temp.......outside working.......this is not good Karen!! You know what to do I'm sure...stay hydrated etc.......jump in the pool when you get home...........
  14. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 11 months ago
    Thanks very much Fortapache, BB2, Wandless, Ho2, Pascale, Bonnie, Nicefice, Martika, Mike, Scott, Mrstyndall , Kerry, FleaF, Aura, Caperkid, Vetraio, Val and Rick for the love!! Your support is always very much appreciated!

GeodeJem, thanks very much for liking my budgie!!
  15. fleafinder fleafinder, 11 months ago
    thanks jud thats was a very informative read on cold painting!!

Tweet tweet lets go to the "tree tonight"(329)!
  16. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 11 months ago
    Thanks Flea, yes I thought it was too!!
  17. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 11 months ago
    PhilD and Thomas, thanks both very much for the love!!
  18. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 11 months ago
    Appreciate the love Mike, thank you!
  19. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 11 months ago
    Thank you for the love Sean!!
  20. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 10 months ago
    Many Thanks Val, PostCC and Bijou for the love, very much appreciated!!
  21. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 10 months ago
    Many thanks Lamp for the love!!
  22. betweenthelens betweenthelens, 10 months ago
    The color and detail are just wonderful. I love this little bird.
  23. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 10 months ago
    Thanks BTLens......it does seem to be really well made doesn't it!!! I love it too!!!
  24. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 10 months ago
    Appreciate the love BTLens and RoyCroft, thanks both very much!!
  25. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 9 months ago
    JImam, appreciate the love thank you!
  26. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 3 months ago
    Jancal and Mrstyndall, thanks very much for taking the time to look and love, it is really appreciated :-)
  27. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 3 months ago
    Aww, I think I'd have to have him too. Shame it's not got the Bergman mark but he's just as gorgeous without it. I love him!
  28. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 3 months ago
    Thanks so very much for your great comment Fran and for loving him too! He is such a cute little bird:-)
  29. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 26 days ago
    Thanks Aura and Jenni for the love, always appreciated :-) )