West Virginia glass owl trio

In Art Glass > American Art Glass > Show & Tell and Animals > Owls > Show & Tell.
American Art Glass9 of 1279help with possible Kanawha glass11 1/4" EARLY AMERICAN PRIMITIVE HAND BLOWN & HAND ETCHED BOTTLE,MARINE BLUE,SMOOTH GROUND BOTTOM

MarmorealMaidenMarmorealMaiden loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
Cokeman1959Cokeman1959 loves this.
LaurenRedmondLaurenRedmond loves this.
kwqdkwqd loves this.

Posted 4 months ago

Newfld

Here are three glass owls from these vintage WV glassmakers:

Pilgrim Glass olive green bubbled owl paperweight, 3 1-4"H, item #158 from their 1972 catalog
    Kanawha Glass amber owl, 3 3-4"H, ca 1970s with orig label
    Blenko Glass blue owl paperweight or bookend, 4 1-2"H, ca 70s-80s. Often confused with the similar Viking design

logo
    American Art Glass
    FENTON RUBY RED GLASS TREE 5563RU LARGE 7-1/4"~Orig STICKERS w/BOX CHRISTMAS
    FENTON RUBY RED GLASS TREE 5563RU L...
    $43
    Fenton Art Glass OOAK Painted Sandcraved Birds on Favrene Vase by Robin Spindler
    Fenton Art Glass OOAK Painted Sandc...
    $2,595
    VTG BLENKO MID CENTURY ART GREEN GLASS SMALL DECANTER STOPPER BULB DESIGN 8.5
    VTG BLENKO MID CENTURY ART GREEN GL...
    $47
    Vintage Fenton Hobnail White Milk Glass Globe Lamp 21" H 3 Way Rare Very Good
    Vintage Fenton Hobnail White Milk G...
    $200
    logo
    FENTON RUBY RED GLASS TREE 5563RU LARGE 7-1/4"~Orig STICKERS w/BOX CHRISTMAS
    FENTON RUBY RED GLASS TREE 5563RU L...
    $43

Comments

1. kwqd kwqd, 4 months ago
      Who? Who! Can't decide on a favorite. Nice, Jenni!
    2. LaurenRedmond LaurenRedmond, 4 months ago
      I have to say the orange one looks really similar to a glass sculpture of one of yours before I think?...they make a really nice little trio together and as for the paper weight I can see why they happen to be so collectable, but in my local area so difficult to come by :/
    3. truthordare truthordare, 4 months ago
      This is fun, I love it when collectors show groupings. Your information is appreciated Jenni, I am just beginning to delve into all the American glass companies. So much to learn. Thanks for posting.
    4. Newfld Newfld, 4 months ago
      Super thanks all for the owl love
      Kevin
      Vet
      Lauren
      Cokeman
      fort
      Vynil
      Thomas
      Lisa
      Pascale
      six-0-one
      Malkey
      bobby
      BB2
      Roycroft

Kevin thanks for the cool comment, ya know I can't pick a fave either cause they are so different, I just thought these guys have been with me awhile why not take a group photo! Glad you liked

Thanks Lauren for the lovely praise and yes that orangey-amber one does have a familiar look, it was probably another animal by Kanawha theirs are often less well-defined than other glass cos, though I do love its big clown feet :). I love that fat little green bubbleglass paperweight too, looks like he'd be perfect to keep papers from blowing away he's a heavy one!

Lisa thank you for the sweet praise and I would like to share some of my glass sources with you. The WV Museum of American Glass has a lot of online catalogs you can purchase on that famous "e" site that has everything, Pilgrim and Rainbow come in booklets of catalog copies, Kanawha and Viking come in CD-ROM disc form with their catalog pages on it. There is a great book called Popular 50s and 60s Glass by Leslie Pina, it's beautifully illustrated with all types of WV glass lines. If you want to find out about non-WV glass cos I have a great book Glass Animals & Figurines by Coe, although it primarily shows animals it lists most of the vintage American glass cos including Cambridge, Duncan & Miller, Heisey, LE Smith etc plus a brief synopsis of their years and evolution. I'm sure there are great websites too, good luck in your quest
    5. truthordare truthordare, 4 months ago
      Thank you very much Jenni, we are familiar with this Museum and their publications because they published a monograph with Czech glass export advertisements in 2012. Did not know about the other publication. Appreciate it. :--)
    6. Hoot60 Hoot60, 4 months ago
      A great parliament of owls!!! Owls are normally loners (somewhat like me....but fine with that). A group of owls are not very common....a group of wise owls is a parliament...a very fitting name:) I will miss you most on C W....you are very kind and have great informative posts. The green owl is my favorite and most appropriate to be in front on the first pic. Take care my CW friend.....Yours truly, Kurt
    7. Newfld Newfld, 4 months ago
      Kurt I am so glad you got to see my owl parliament which was really meant for you, thank you again for teaching me so much about these beautiful majestic birds. I wish you well, it has been wonderful to know you and to be your friend. Every happiness, Jenni

aura
      sklo42
      Jean
      Hoot
      Watchsearcher
    8. iggy iggy, 4 months ago
      Love the 'fat' one the most!
    9. Newfld Newfld, 4 months ago
      Thanks iggy for the super comment, the fat green bubble guy really is the best of them all I think!

Many thanks iggy & ho2 for the love and support, you guys are always great to me & I really appreciate it :)
    10. Newfld Newfld, 4 months ago
      Many thanks for the love & support Leah it is truly kind of you and very much appreciated
    11. racer4four racer4four, 4 months ago
      What a wonderful post. I love seeing different takes on the same subject!
      I won't pick a fave because how is that possible?
      Thanks again Jenni for showing so much wonderful American glass. You have a stellar glass menagerie. Really fantastic collection.
    12. Newfld Newfld, 3 months ago
      Thanks dlp & Karen for the love, it's really nice of you and always totally appreciated - glad you liked this trip!

Karen I can't thank you enough for the terrific kind praise, it makes my heart glad that we can reach out across the miles here with mutual appreciation of our beloved glass collections. These owls seemed to complement each other, and I also enjoyed identifying them in the records as all being from WV glassmakers, which are often called river glass as there were many refineries along the WV rivers. I have been seeking out more unusual glass animals for future posts, found some cuties I hope you'll like coming up
    13. Newfld Newfld, 3 months ago
      Many thanks HappyHourOwls & Hoot for the love it is so kind of you & very greatly appreciated
    14. Newfld Newfld, 2 months ago
      Thanks TimeT & MarmorealMaiden for the thoughtful love it is most gratefully appreciated & very pleased you enjoyed my owl trio