Unknown style and maker necklace arts and crafts?

In Fine Jewelry > Necklaces > Show & Tell and Fine Jewelry > Arts and Crafts Jewelry > Show & Tell.
Necklaces246 of 434silver choker type necklaces from IndiaBarroque pearl silver necklace by Rodi & Wienenberger of Pforzheim c. 1900

dlpetersendlpetersen loves this.
racer4fourracer4four loves this.
lisalisa loves this.
ElisabethanElisabethan loves this.
geo26egeo26e loves this.
NewtimesNewtimes loves this.

kyratango

I consider it as the ugliest jewel I bought!

A silver chain with toggle clasp, heavy négligé pendant with mother of pearl shells wrapped in silver seaweeds hanging from a central medallion of same design.

I bought it because it was cheap, and intriguing!
    But I feel discomfort at each time I look at it... Bizarre!

No marks, of course ;-)

What origin, maker? Any idea?

Mystery Solved
    logo
    Necklaces
    Antique Vintage Sterling Silver Native Navajo Turquoise Liquid Silver Necklace
    Antique Vintage Sterling Silver Nat...
    $32
    Vintage Moon Face Carved Mother of Pearl Shell Sterling 21mm Pendant Necklace
    Vintage Moon Face Carved Mother of ...
    $13
    Antique Retro 1.80ct Diamond Platinum Bow Floral Pendant Necklace 9.3 Grams NR
    Antique Retro 1.80ct Diamond Platin...
    $560
    Estate Diamond 22.50ct Green Emerald 14K Gold Dangle Drop Necklace 40.0 Grams NR
    Estate Diamond 22.50ct Green Emeral...
    $3,640
    logo
    Antique Vintage Sterling Silver Native Navajo Turquoise Liquid Silver Necklace
    Antique Vintage Sterling Silver Nat...
    $32

Comments

1. Newtimes Newtimes, 6 years ago
      Well its not that ugly, lets just call it: unique :-)
    2. kyratango kyratango, 6 years ago
      Thank you for your kindness! Let's go for unique ;-)
    3. kyratango kyratango, 6 years ago
      Phil, ???!
    4. toracat toracat, 6 years ago
      Lobster claws!!
    5. kyratango kyratango, 6 years ago
      Are you food oriented? ;-P
    6. Jewels1900 Jewels1900, 6 years ago
      I beg to differ. I think this is lovely. If you ever want to part or swap let me know!
    7. kyratango kyratango, 6 years ago
      Thank you Jewels! Still intriguing me for all those years, will for sure go back to you if I would part!
      A lobster... Moby Dick vampire teeth?
    8. Jewels1900 Jewels1900, 6 years ago
      Moby Dick vampire teeth? That's rough. I clearly need to find you a nice bug for swapsies and give this poor chap a loving home.

I don't know, I kinda like the whole seaweed thing.
    9. kyratango kyratango, 6 years ago
      *clapping hands* A bug, a BUUUG!!!
    10. period_gems period_gems, 6 years ago
      ooh, no, seaweed, this is lovely, I've seen much uglier and besides, its well designed, nothing that well designed is ugly.
    11. Jewels1900 Jewels1900, 6 years ago
      Mmmm ... lets see whats in my box that you might love to wear. In the way of bugs I have a nice little horn cicada (most of my other horn bugs are gifts from my hubby) or the Charles Horner butterfly. A few other things which might be of interest are an Austro Hungarian St George/Dragon pendant (not quite as nice as the one you've loved but still a good one) & a pair of Louise Rousselet Art Deco lamp work earrings. I have all sorts of treasures you would enjoy, let me know if anything sounds tempting. No obligations at all ...
    12. kyratango kyratango, 6 years ago
      Jewels, it is kind of you to open your jewellery box for me ;-))
      I have the same Saint Georges than Agram's!
      Thank you for your proposal, but I'll keep my monster (promising I won't abuse him in anyway, lol) until I find out what it is.
      Perhaps we can meet when you will come for the cranky Serpette Lady!
      Cheers!
    13. Jewels1900 Jewels1900, 6 years ago
      That sounds great thanks kyrantango. All I can tell you about your monster is that it's probably German. There are a lot of original designs of seaweed inspired jewels in the period journals. Without this one being signed it would be hard to find out who originally designed and/or made it. Look forward to seeing you in Paris.
    14. kyratango kyratango, 5 years ago
      Thanks to the 17 lovers! So, German ?
    15. Jewels1900 Jewels1900, 5 years ago
      Probably. There are French & English examples of similar motifs, but this one feels Jugendstil to me.

PS, got a new bug.
    16. kyratango kyratango, 5 years ago
      Aargh! A BUG!!!! Drooling in wait to see it !
    17. kyratango kyratango, 5 years ago
      Here is a very similar one, without the shells:

18. kyratango kyratango, 5 years ago
      Thanks Wpj!
    19. kyratango kyratango, 5 years ago
      Kiwipaul, any idea?
    20. kiwipaul kiwipaul, 5 years ago
      No that one doesn't ring any bells, still a mystery
    21. kyratango kyratango, 5 years ago
      Thanks Jewels!
    22. kyratango kyratango, 5 years ago
      Just had a look at otoliths on Google, never heard of it!
      Thanks for your comment, I looked attentively, mine are iridescent as mother of pearl...
    23. shareurpassion shareurpassion, 5 years ago
      lol...I'm laughing because I think it's amazing!!! It's funny how sometimes we feel like that but get the piece anyway, I know what you mean. Really tho, I do love it!!!
    24. ho2cultcha ho2cultcha, 5 years ago
      they remind me of the polished hinge section of an oyster shell which is often what remains after the rest of the shell has been eroded away by the action of the surf.
    25. kyratango kyratango, 5 years ago
      Right reminder of an oyster remain! That's exactly what I thought too, ho2cultcha!

Shareurpassion, I knew you could understand, lol!
    26. ho2cultcha ho2cultcha, 5 years ago
      maybe this was made towards the end of the art nouveau period. it seems like this purely organic form is what art deco reacted against. i could be wrong, but maybe design became so organic that it got all gooby. Jugendstihl seems to have incorporated geometric form early on - a precursor to art deco.
    27. ho2cultcha ho2cultcha, 5 years ago
      scuse my ramblin'!
    28. kyratango kyratango, 4 years ago
      How did I miss your comment for so long, Ho2cultcha... You're right, of course! Thank you :-)
    29. martika martika, 4 years ago
      Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... Ugly? No, it's beautiful!
    30. katherinescollections katherinescollections, 4 years ago
      This showed up as a thumbnail on the CW wall and I had to open it immediately to see what it was. I can see what you mean, kyratango, it is intriguing! I think because the artisan attempted to make it perfectly beautiful, a sort of monstrous magnificence. Can you imagine the lady that would wear such a piece? Wow. Thanks for sharing this unique creation. :)
    31. kyratango kyratango, 4 years ago
      Martika, thank you for your appreciation :-)

You got the exact word Kath! Monstrous...
      I must say I'm now more sensitive to Arts and Crafts style than I was when I bought it :-)

But still not wearing it... Ô_ô

32. katherinescollections katherinescollections, 4 years ago
      Now, kyratango, I said monstrous magnificence, like one of those huge over the top spectacular outfits Cher used to wear to the Oscars, only certain people can pull off an outfit like that. Same as with your brooch, it's grandly uniquely amazingly wonderful. :)
    33. katherinescollections katherinescollections, 4 years ago
      Begging your pardon, I wrote brooch, and this is a necklace.
    34. kyratango kyratango, 4 years ago
      Kath, I well understood whyou you used "monstrous" :-)
      The original significance of the term is from Latin, as something you show pointing the finger to it with a OOOH!
      Thanks again, my friend!
    35. katherinescollections katherinescollections, 4 years ago
      You are so kind, my friend, thank you. And I bet this necklace would make you a small fortune if you ever decided to part with it. But don't! It is a star! :)