Antique Dieppe ivory bouquet brooch.

In Fine Jewelry > Victorian and Edwardian Jewelry > Show & Tell.
Victorian and Edwardian Jewelry4 of 712please help me and tell me how old is this 800 old silver necklaceShakudo from the Victorian and later periods

TanniTanni loves this.
CaperkidCaperkid loves this.
NewfldNewfld loves this.
Hel1Hel1 loves this.

Posted 26 days ago

kyratango

Another french find :-)

Dieppe is a haven in Normandy, France, and was for centuries a center for carving the ivory which came from Africa by sea.

5.9cm long.
3.4cm wide.

A little lack on top end, awful epoxy glue on the replacement pin insert, but I won't try to ?epair that!

Seller didn't described the fact the C clasp was closed... impossible to insert the pin!

That was my only careful kyratisation: curve the metal using two pinches not to break anything... brrr!

I love elephants, and the fact they are protected and ivory being now banned. I only buy antique pieces, and when they are so finely executed, I consider this is a tribute to these magnificent animals to not discard such pieces...
What makes me very angry is to see crudely, poorly executed modern/vintage ivory pieces! Shouting: "a poor elephant was killed for nothing!".
Seeing too much people confusing molded resine with real ivory... no need to kill animals to satisfy average people's taste...

Comments

1. kyratango kyratango, 26 days ago
    The last ivory carver in Dieppe:
  2. Newfld Newfld, 26 days ago
    Stunning ivory brooch - and I agree, a fine tribute and remembrance for elephants. Now banned in circuses too, but loved them as a child
    Jenni
  3. Manikin Manikin, 26 days ago
    Oh how beautiful ! As always I love your posts and your fine taste in jewelry ! xo
  4. vetraio50 vetraio50, 26 days ago
    GORGEOUS !!!!
    Visited the museum there forty years ago. Amazing.
  5. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 26 days ago
    It is truly beautiful Pascale, and a very interesting article too!
  6. kyratango kyratango, 25 days ago
    Newfld, I see we feel same :-) thank you for your nice comment and love!

Mani! How sweet saying there!!! Thank you my friend, XOXO

Vetraio, great to have been to the Dieppe museum! Thank you for gorgeous comment:-)

Judy! Thanks for enjoying both brooch and link :-))

Huge collective thanks to all of you, early 16 lovers! :-D
  7. Agram.m Agram.m, 23 days ago
    So beautiful carved, what a crafstman and patience.
  8. kyratango kyratango, 22 days ago
    Marga, so true! Thank you for your appreciation and love :-)

Many thanks to all of you, 20 Dieppe carving lovers!
  9. Peasejean55 Peasejean55, 22 days ago
    Absolutely beautiful, I completely agree with your in your Write up on Elephants. I was once with a friend in Northern Thailand who bought a small Ivory ornament which I wasn’t best pleased with, she said its only small and I explained they would have still had to kill the Elephant to get the Ivory that made her ornament. Some people just don’t look at the wider picture, or their stupid. With living in Kenya I saw these animal living in their natural habitat, I was blessed.
  10. kyratango kyratango, 21 days ago
    Aww, Jean, how lucky you were to see elephants in their natural habitat!
    Thank you for sharing my opinion, for your nice comment and love too :-)

Thanks for your lovely visit, Tash127!