Antique lizard bronze pen-wipe, KYRATISED.

In Animals > Show & Tell and Office > Show & Tell.
Animals424 of 6150Malaysia Truly Asia motif ceramic 13 oz juice  highball Bugs the Rabbit and Super Duck

TreyTrey loves this.
IlikethingsIlikethings loves this.
ToyrebelToyrebel loves this.
BroochmanBroochman loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.

Posted 9 months ago

kyratango

This little guy (7cm by 9cm) had his original hair/brush, used to clean the nib of a dip pen.
    Lacking his inserted eyes, and the bronze had an unpleasant color (to me!).

So... a kyratisation project to make him look like what it could have been as a Vienna bronze!

Two tiny onyx cabs for his eyes.
    White Posca pen, making dots for the scales and painting large areas.
    Permanent markers in different colors blended as applied in layers.
    A light brumisation with alcohol to achieve the colors mix and then an application of ashes with a paint brush to give a mat/satin finish.

He is now the realistic French green lizard he ought to be :-)

It took me the whole afternoon!

logo
    Animals
    Antique Werkstatte Hagenauer Wien Vienna Secessionist Brass Elephant Bookends
    Antique Werkstatte Hagenauer Wien V...
    $357
    19thC Antique French Gilt Bronze American Eagle, Pocket Watch Holder Marble Base
    19thC Antique French Gilt Bronze Am...
    $128
    Miniature Antique Elmer Crowell Carved & Painted Folk Art Canvasback Duck
    Miniature Antique Elmer Crowell Car...
    $1,075
    Antique Chinese bronze Foo dog scholars scroll weight, 19th century. QING. RARE.
    Antique Chinese bronze Foo dog scho...
    $102
    logo
    Antique Werkstatte Hagenauer Wien Vienna Secessionist Brass Elephant Bookends
    Antique Werkstatte Hagenauer Wien V...
    $357

Comments

1. kyratango kyratango, 9 months ago
      Here is the living beastie:
    2. Newfld Newfld, 9 months ago
      Fabulous job Pascale, he is absolutely realistic and beautiful! Kudos :)
    3. valentino97 valentino97, 9 months ago
      So cool as always! I have never seen a bronze pen wipe before. Amazing restoration - comes to life now. :)
    4. Vynil33rpm Vynil33rpm, 9 months ago
      Very Nice
      Any more realistic ,it
      Would be forbidden on C.W.
      Bite danger ,you know
    5. jscott0363 jscott0363, 9 months ago
      Oh, he is FANTASTIC!! Your work is incredible Kyra! I'm glad to see this little pen wipe brought back to life.
    6. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 9 months ago
      Anything you touch is beautiful and besides your workmanship you have impeccable, faultless; flawless; irreproachable taste !~
    7. kyratango kyratango, 9 months ago
      Jenni! Thanks!!!

Vinyl33rpm, thank you! and yep, he could bite as a real one ;-))

Scott, I'm so glad you love him, I remember you painted some of your rabbits or dogs in a delicious way :-D

Phil! That is a HUUGE COMPLIMENT!!! Thanks! Love back to you, take care, my friend XOXO

Valentino, thank you!
      I posted some of my nib cleaners/pen wipes previously, here are the links:
      Sparrow:

Boar:

Turtle:

Bull:

Monkey:

Terrier dog:
    8. Manikin Manikin, 9 months ago
      Another interesting friendly creature :-) you surely have more buzz buzz and animal pins than anyone . I always love your posts xo
    9. kyratango kyratango, 9 months ago
      Mani, thank you for your sweet comment :-)
      It seems I'm mainly collecting animals!!!
    10. Mrstyndall Mrstyndall, 9 months ago
      Unique piece! Never heard of a pen dip before
    11. LaurenRedmond LaurenRedmond, 9 months ago
      He's very realistic- It's hard to believe there is that much detail on his sculpt, he's very adorable too. I at first thought he was a pincushion when I seen him in the thumbnail, but he's even more unique than that, never knew one of these existed- when I'm using my dip pen I just use a little cloth to clean it, works too I suppose except it isn't as pretty as this!
    12. kyratango kyratango, 9 months ago
      Mrstyndall, thank you! They were novelty items, fun to have on your desk from 1890s till first third of the 20th :-)

Lauren, these little bronze pieces were very finely made, and the old Vienna ones by Bergman are very sought after. On him, the paws aren't so fine, so I doubt it comes from Austria.
      Many of them were turned into pin cushions once the bristles were ruined...
      There was too pen wipes/nib cleaners made of several pieces of felt held by the midle by a decorative or whimsical figurine.
    13. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 9 months ago
      I learn something new all the time on this site.
      I had no clue such a cool item existed!
      Phil said it all.
      Your talent to take something broken & forgotten, and turn it back into it's original, if not better condition is nothing short of amazing.
      Lady. You have quite a talent.
      Your animals are wonderful, just wonderful!
    14. kyratango kyratango, 9 months ago
      Awww, thank youuuu so much for your appreciation and huge compliment, Ms.CrystalShip!!!
      Sometimes, my kyratisations are only improvements to my taste! ;-)
    15. Passion4Cameos Passion4Cameos, 9 months ago
      Awesome!
    16. Passion4Cameos Passion4Cameos, 9 months ago
      Did you get a 'before' by any chance? Am curious now!
    17. kyratango kyratango, 9 months ago
      Thank you Passion4Cameos for your comment and interest! :-D

The before pics are the #3 and 4!
      It had only a patina when I got it, not painting, and I wasn't pleased by the color...
      Nothing permanent in the kyratisation, it can easily be removed with solvant.
    18. shareurpassion shareurpassion, 9 months ago
      Soooo much betta! Wonder if the last owner thought the same thing and painted it the opposite. You most likely got the original color back! haah
    19. kyratango kyratango, 9 months ago
      Haha! Share! I got some which were thoroughly painted with plain black or white glossy paint, eek!
      New post here, showing it when the work was in progress:
    20. Passion4Cameos Passion4Cameos, 9 months ago
      Silly me kyratango. I only realised after posting lol. What a lovely and unusual piece that is. Great job!
    21. kyratango kyratango, 9 months ago
      No, not silly, Passion4Cameos!!! You just showed interest :-)
      Thanks again!
    22. shareurpassion shareurpassion, 8 months ago
      I think Mani is right! You have to have the most bug, insect, and what ever other creature than anyone I've ever known! It's really awesome too, especially when you make them better than they were in the first place!
    23. kyratango kyratango, 8 months ago
      Share! I'm realizing the hoard is becoming bigger and bigger... happily I'm not interested in collecting anvils or armoires...;-)

In fact all animals can join the collection!

Thank you for all your kind words!