Creepy Ceramic Double Spouted Vase

In Pottery > American Art Pottery > Show & Tell.
American Art Pottery28 of 327Ceramic MouseTile Plaque of Mary and Jesus from St. Andrew's Priory, Valyermo, CA?

artfootartfoot loves this.
auraaura loves this.
jscott0363jscott0363 loves this.

Posted 10 months ago

dav2no1

Creepy Ceramic Double Spouted Vase

10 1/2" tall x 13" wide x 4 3/8" deep

As promised, my creepy ceramic vase! I've been trying to buy this for months and finally talked the seller into a deal. Never seen anything like it and fell in love with it the moment I saw it.

Only marks on the piece are what appears to be a reversed KK on the back. It has a grayish wash of highlights. The last picture I used the flash to try and capture this effect.

The piece has a 3D figure crouching in a space in the middle of the vase. The space the figure is in, has a wood grain look to the window frame and the space surrounding the figure.. The vase looks like a brick house with double chimneys. There is dripped glazing coming off the top of the chimneys. The texture looks like a stacked stone construction.

The chimneys spouts are connected inside by a narrow space, and the interior looks like the outside vs a smooth finish. Interestingly I thought there was loose material inside, but found 7 small Lego pieces and small strips of paper. I believe the previous owner's son was having some fun when no one was looking.

I believe this is a one of a kind piece. If anyone has seen anything similar or has som ideas of whom the artist is, please feel free to comment.

logo
    American Art Pottery
    Newcomb College Antique Art Pottery Blue Creamer Pitcher circa 1900
    Newcomb College Antique Art Pottery...
    $760
    Teco Four Buttress Vase - Green
    Teco Four Buttress Vase - Green...
    $140
    Antique Authentic WELLER Art Pottery Iridescent Sicard Vase Brass Lamp Base, NR
    Antique Authentic WELLER Art Potter...
    $104
    Farnham Pottery Arts and Crafts Owl Jug Liberty & Co Brannam Interest
    Farnham Pottery Arts and Crafts Owl...
    $16
    logo
    Newcomb College Antique Art Pottery Blue Creamer Pitcher circa 1900
    Newcomb College Antique Art Pottery...
    $760

Comments

1. dav2no1 dav2no1, 10 months ago
      Creepy as promised!
    2. kwqd kwqd, 10 months ago
      Yeah, creepy is pretty accurate. I like it though. Never seen anything like it before.
    3. dav2no1 dav2no1, 10 months ago
      I told you ha ha..I believe it's one of a kind.
    4. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 10 months ago
      Is the figure hiding or trying to stay safe during an earthquake? First idea that came to me! I live in California, Ha!
      Other than that, I don’t find it so creepy, more interesting to wonder what he is doing in “there”?
      I do believe you have a rarity here, Dave!
    5. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 10 months ago
      Looks like he is under a desk or table. Back in the 1950's we were made to assume this pose under our school desks once a month. It was practice for the all out war with the USSR. I failed to see what they thought a table or desk would offer for protection.
    6. dav2no1 dav2no1, 10 months ago
      MsC - wow, not creepy enough for you? Ha ha.

Fhjr- I grew up in the 70s but we did the same thing, hide under our desks. Pretty funny nowadays.

Thanks to all for looking and loving my creepy piece
    7. art.pottery, 10 months ago
      Reminds me of some of the studio (not mass produced) wares of Jim Rumph. Went down that rabbit hole earlier, but couldn’t find anything quite like it. Really unique!
    8. dav2no1 dav2no1, 10 months ago
      I believe the mark on the back looks like Karen Karnes? I'm going to research some today..

9. dav2no1 dav2no1, 10 months ago
      I reached out to Black Mountain College Museum to explore the Karen Karnes connection. I was told that as far as they know, she didn't do any figures. So back to square one..
    10. ho2cultcha ho2cultcha, 10 months ago
      it reminds me somewhat of this one i've had for quite a few years now. i really like it.
    11. dav2no1 dav2no1, 10 months ago
      Pete, that's a cool piece you have! Did you see my fence sign? I thought it was you that had a similar piece? Trying to find the post for more info..

12. dav2no1 dav2no1, 9 months ago
      keramikos, I didn't see you comment on this piece? Figured you might have some ideas for me...
    13. dav2no1 dav2no1, 9 months ago
      Thanks for all creepy loves...still a mystery..
    14. AmphoraPottery AmphoraPottery, 9 months ago
      Fabulous piece.
    15. dav2no1 dav2no1, 9 months ago
      Thank you! I can't imagine someone could successfully fire more than 1 of these. I believe it's 1 of a kind. Wish I could figure out who made it..
    16. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 9 months ago
      That mark was close but it was two K’s, back to back. This one is a three lined star ( ???)
      I keep coming back to see if you found the maker of this amazing piece of pottery. I too, believe it is one of a kind! Find out who made it !!! (Smiling)
      Notice the lines on the right extend further than on the left..significant ???
    17. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 9 months ago
      The seller knew nothing?
    18. dav2no1 dav2no1, 9 months ago
      Nothing...he thought maybe Karnes. But we ruled that out. It had to take someone with skill to pull this off. Hopefully some day we will find out..thanks for checking back!