Rare Art Deco Sasportas Batman Circa 1920, Chrome Plated Bronze Car Mascot

In Art Deco > Art Deco Bronze > Show & Tell and Classic Cars > Hood Ornaments > Show & Tell.
Art Deco Bronze64 of 191Femme Oiseau, Very Rare Car Mascot, Circa 1923Centaure Par F. Bazin, Bronze Art Deco Mascotte

IronLaceIronLace loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
OneGoodFindOneGoodFind loves this.
antiqueroseantiquerose loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.

PhilDMorris

Art Deco Batman Circa 1920, Foundry Edit signed Chrome Bronze Car Mascot

When I first posted this item, Collectors Weekly had Featured it, asking the question " Was This The First Batman ."

This item was first posted in Early 2012.
Sasportas Batman. This is an exceptionally rare 1920 mascot depicting a flying nude man with bat wings, in purest Art Deco style. Silver plated bronze, signed to base, with foundry stamp behind right wing. Edit. Sasportas was one of the foremost producers of only the very finest mascots in France. They specialised in Art Deco creations, and the name is synonymous with great style and creativity. Photographed and partially described in Michel Legrand book 'Mascottes Passion' Plate 276.
Dimensions : 105mm high, 180mm wingspan.
Condition : Absolutely first class, a totally 100% 1920 original with superb age patination, showing the gentle passing of time. There is absolutely no restoration or replating on this magnificent piece whatsoever. Also to note that I have found only one for sale since this piece, this month actually, it was missing all the chrome and the face was not as nicely finished. This piece has one of the best faces I have seen on this type of mascot. This mascot is quite rare.

Comments

1. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    Phil. I almost moved on when I read "Batman", as I'm not into fantasy stuff. Glad I took a 2nd glance ! I believe "awesome" is the current term I'm supposed use.
  2. antiquerose antiquerose, 2 years ago
    Super item, Super collectible, Super pictures -- as always!! Glad your back !!!!!!
  3. OneGoodFind OneGoodFind, 2 years ago
    That's super cool looking. I wish I could zoom in on the naked man but oh well.
    Stupid question..is that a hood ornament or does it go where it is in the picture?
    Thanks for posting it. :)
  4. mikelv85 mikelv85, 2 years ago
    Art Deco at it's finest !
  5. kyratango kyratango, 2 years ago
    Phil! Wonderful piece! Appreciate too the fact it is in untouched condition :-)

You should repost the link to the video of your marvelous mascots collection and disdain the jealousy of some fellows ;-D
  6. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    He is an amazing piece of art ! kyratango I have added link to part of his collection just a sample :-)
  7. kyratango kyratango, 2 years ago
    Aaaah, thanks Manikin, that's it!
    SUPERB!
  8. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    That was a good idea you had kyratango :-) xo
  9. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    OneGoodFind yes it is a vintage hood ornament for car that has been removed and put on a base for displaying :-)
  10. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 2 years ago
    Thanks blunderbuss2, I always appreciate your humour, nice one.
  11. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 2 years ago
    Thanks antiquerose, always glad to see you here online.
  12. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 2 years ago
    Its a car mascot which is what it was called in England or France, OneGoodFind ! I don't really like the words hood ornaments. Mascottes in French is my specialty, what I really love ! They adorned the radiator caps, most of them not made for any particular car, some extremely rare, all rare basically. They were made for very individual people in all shapes and forms. Even the book authors, who I know and consult with, still search for the next piece in their collection.
  13. Nicefice, 2 years ago
    Very Fine Mascot! Love It!!
  14. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 2 years ago
    Thanks Manikin for posting the link to the video you made of my mascots which was so very over the top nice of you. You always brighten our days !
  15. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    Mani, you put that together ? It was great & I thoroughly enjoyed it ! I take back everything bad I've said about you ! LOL ! Phil, you're a celebrity now. Just need a mascot made in your image ! Well ! Maybe with a few alterations . LOL!!
  16. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 2 years ago
    Also thanks to Mani for all the help with paperwork for the new batch of mascots that I bought from France.
  17. Celiene Celiene, 2 years ago
    He's a stunner!
  18. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 2 years ago
    Thanks blunder again, also thank you's for the comments, mikelv85, special note to kyratango, and Nicefice !
  19. Celiene Celiene, 2 years ago
    Loved the video!
  20. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    bb2 lol you know we always had a thing for each other don't deny it <wink> I forgive you if ya bad mouthed me like I always do :-) Never change we love you just as you are !! And oh thank you for the compliment on video I will have to edit it to add many more beauties Phil has acquired since that video .
  21. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    Let us see it when you're done Mani. Got that pin out of my foot and can only catch the slow girls till I get my muscles toned back up. LOL!
  22. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    You broke your foot bb2 ?
  23. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    Goes back to mid August, when some B back out at nite in front of me with no lights on. Hit & run of course. (An island pastime !). Before you ask the usual question, the bike's OK ! Usual bone infection, bone cut out toe joint re-broken, pin installed & that's all. Just need walking to tone up. "No problem, mon". LOL ! Of course, it would have been better if it happened to somebody else . LOL!
  24. pops52 pops52, 1 year ago
    My all time favorite!
  25. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 1 year ago
    Thanks pops52, sending love out to you !~
  26. PostCardCollector PostCardCollector, 1 year ago
    I just can't stop looking at it!
  27. courtenayantiques courtenayantiques, 1 year ago
    This has to be the coolest thing I have seen in a long time - then I looked at the video and have been blown away!!!
    What a fantastic collection you have, love them all!
  28. pops52 pops52, 1 year ago
    From the very first time you posted Sasportas Batman, I was totally blown away! An amazing mascot!
  29. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 1 year ago
    Thanks Celiene for viewing the video !
  30. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 2 months ago
    Another great piece!
  31. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 2 months ago
    Thanks Vintagefran for the nice comment. The piece garnered a lot of attention when I bought it and I had one of the most famous collectors and seller from Britain who wanted to buy it from me !~
  32. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 2 months ago
    Thanks Mani again for the beautiful visits you grace me with !~
  33. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 2 months ago
    So many nice people here. Thanks for the comments, again thanks to Mani for posting this on line, it was totally her creation !!