Sterling dragonfly brooch

In Fine Jewelry > Brooches > Show & Tell.
Brooches89 of 8013 small broochesVintage Pauline Rader Brooch

racer4fourracer4four loves this.
LaurenRedmondLaurenRedmond loves this.
CaperkidCaperkid loves this.
officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

Newfld

This approx. 3x3" dragonfly brooch has marcasite detailing, aqua & silver wings and garnet eyes, on 925 sterling silver. Recently found this on a day trip with my good friend antiqueing (her passion), the shop owner said it was ca 1930s. Hope you enjoy my unusual vintage find

Comments

1. Caperkid, 1 year ago
      Great looking brooch. Sterling jewelry calls for me lol.
    2. racer4four racer4four, 1 year ago
      Wow, awesome bug Jenni! I love the enamel and crystals.
    3. LaurenRedmond LaurenRedmond, 1 year ago
      This is so pretty Newfld! It's colours are so summery! This reminds me of my Granddad whose a gardener and he sometimes spends all day watching creatures like this on ponds- they look like little biplanes.
    4. Poire Poire, 1 year ago
      Gorgeous Jenni!!
    5. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 1 year ago
      Now this is quite a find! Considering its age, it is still has all it's beauty and grace it was made with. It's so lovely Jenni! The colors are amazing...
      Aquamarine & silver with marcasite, along with ruby.
      It doesn't get any better than this, except for your Celestial Horses :)
    6. AnnaB AnnaB, 1 year ago
      The timing of this post is perfect, Jenni! The dragons are out now in hundreds or even thousands, zooming like mini jets over my lawn. I love watching them do their crazy dance and love your gorgeous brooch!
    7. Newfld Newfld, 1 year ago
      Roy thanks so much for the super comment, I love sterling pieces too but alas most costume jewelry is silver imitation, that's one reason I was so excited to find this

Thank you Karen for the kind words, it's quite a bug and you know not usual for me, I'm really happy you liked it

Lauren you're right it is summery, how lucky for your granddad to see the real ones buzzing around they do look like little planes! Thank you for the great compliments

Very pleased you enjoyed this Mary, and thank you for the very kind compliment

Eileen so glad you liked this & really glad I made a good find in a shop for a change. It is great that the aqua color is still bright, and I think the pastel is unusual in older jewelry like this which often favors deeper colors. Really appreciate your wonderful words

Right Anna, I see them flying all over the place here on LI too, they ARE crazy dancing! I was actually planning a different bug post (bee, flies) til I found this dragonfly, as the end of August signals the end of bug season to me, and while I think they're pretty in jewelry, I'm rather glad to see the real ones go into hibernation once the cool weather starts. Thank you for the super comment

The love is greatly appreciated all
      officialfuel
      TimeT
      Anik
      Anna
      keramikos
      flashlarue
    8. Newfld Newfld, 1 year ago
      Thanks lisa and Thomas for the love, really happy you liked my dragonfly
    9. raven3766 raven3766, 1 year ago
      This is beautiful, I love the blue. I would wear it in a heartbeat!
    10. Poire Poire, 1 year ago
      Jenni, I have to say that you are the best commenter I have seen on this site! Your comments are always so lovely, beautiful, and on point. Your comments show that you really care and are interested. I don't know how you do it with all the wonderful comments! I can't seem to come up with anything other than "lovely" or "beautiful." You really have an exceptional talent in describing your appreciation of people's treasures. I have never once questioned any one of your comments as just flattery. Your comments are true and heartfelt. I'm jealous of that talent. ;-) I just wanted to put that out there. :)
    11. Mrstyndall Mrstyndall, 1 year ago
      Wow, just stunning!
    12. Newfld Newfld, 1 year ago
      Thank you raven for the nice compliments, I love the pale blue wings too, and would love to wear this on a black top sometime

Mary, your words just bowled me over this morning, I can't tell you how great you made me feel, it's like you really "get" me as a person, I am so happy to know you can feel my sincerity in the things I say. I try to focus on the positive when commenting and have an original perspective (which is not always easy if there are many comments ahead of you), but the one thing I stay away from is acting superior or nasty - many folks here in the interest of "constructive criticism" are downright mean & quick to deflate you, which I think is cruel and out of place on this nice sharing website. So hearing really kind & sincere comments like yours are tops to me, and listen, that wonderful praise puts you right up there as an exceptionally talented commenter too!! Thank you my friend for the really great and thoughtful words, I am humbly grateful

Thanks MrsT, so glad you liked my dragonfly and always appreciate your sweet compliments

Many thanks for the love
      raven
      MrsT
    13. MyCountry MyCountry, 1 year ago
      we'll have to start calling you the dragon lady..smiling ,.very cool find..
    14. kyratango kyratango, 1 year ago
      Woohh, Jenni, what a nice Bzz bzz! Loove her :-D
    15. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 1 year ago
      Gorgous !~
    16. valentino97 valentino97, 1 year ago
      Jenni - this is gorgeous, great find! And Mary, I agree with you :-) XOXO to you both, your other friend Mary
    17. Newfld Newfld, 1 year ago
      Lol MyCountry, you sure can call me the dragon lady anytime, although somehow in my mind it makes me think of that 40s actress Gale Sondergaard who was so scary in Sherlock Holmes and The Letter movies - now there was a real dragon lady, she was great! Appreciate the kind compliment

Pascale, I totally thought of you when I first set eyes on this dragonfly, I really hoped you would enjoy it and so glad you did, thanks for your wonderful compliment

Phil thank you as always for the wonderful praise, I'm extremely happy you find this gorgeous as this is not my typical rhinestone or animal piece, I just loved that it is such a real looking creature with lovely wings

Aww Mary, thank you for agreeing with Mary P about my commenting, you are such a super friend and I love that we have some great communication going, thanks for appreciating my sometimes streams of thought processing, love your great compliments & XOXO right back at ya!

So grateful for the luv all
      Vynil33rpm
      Phil
      Mary
      aura
    18. Newfld Newfld, 1 year ago
      Many thanks worthit2, so grateful for the love and glad you enjoyed this dragonfly
    19. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 1 year ago
      Late again Jenni to see this soo beautiful dragonfly and fabulous that it is silver too! I really must find one of these:-) )
    20. Newfld Newfld, 1 year ago
      Judy I hoped you would see this & enjoy as I know you love sterling pieces and have so many lovely ones, thank you so much for the kind praise and thoughtfulness

Very grateful for the love Judy and wladyj111, many thanks
    21. Newfld Newfld, 1 year ago
      Thank you Pickaboo and iggy for the love, very kind of you and really appreciate it
    22. nutsabotas6 nutsabotas6, 1 year ago
      As always, you post the most beautiful jewelry...This brooch is gorgeous! :) !
    23. Newfld Newfld, 1 year ago
      Humble thanks Ken, such kind praise from the man with the primo jewelry collection! Hope you've been having a great summer, miss those gorgeous Trifari posts, & grateful always for the love my friend
    24. foseatme, 1 year ago
      beautiful!
    25. Newfld Newfld, 1 year ago
      Thank you foseatme for the sweet compliment, glad you enjoyed my dragonfly

Appreciate the kind luv
      ho2
      Justanovice
      foseatme
    26. billretirecoll billretirecoll, 1 year ago
      Jenni I'm sorry I didn't get to your post of this beautiful sterling silver Dragonfly Brooch, I'm just a slow-poke! :^D You really have an eye, and seems a love for what you collect! Thank you very much for posting! :^)
    27. Re-In-Vintage Re-In-Vintage, 1 year ago
      so pretty!!
    28. Newfld Newfld, 1 year ago
      Aww Bill, anytime I get a great comment from you I'm very pleased & grateful, thank you! I do love my vintage jewelry & glass animals, and it's really a nice feeling when others enjoy it too, that's why this site is so great, we share our things with others & learn about their favorite things, I always love to learn

What a kind compliment Re-In-Vintage, thanks so much & very glad you liked this dragonfly

Greatly appreciate the luv Bill & Re-In-Vintage, mucho thanx to you both
    29. Newfld Newfld, 1 year ago
      Thank you LovelyPat, glad you liked this and really appreciate the love
    30. jscott0363 jscott0363, 1 year ago
      Awesome dragonfly! We have a few decorative dragonflies on our patio.
    31. Newfld Newfld, 1 year ago
      Thanks Scott really appreciate the comment, I know because it's still warm you see these guys buzzing around, the real ones are so pretty but with any bug I prefer the fake lol

The love greatly appreciated Scott and worthit2
    32. clockerman clockerman, 1 year ago
      A very special item, just like the OP Love it.!!!!
    33. Newfld Newfld, 1 year ago
      Clockerman thank you so much for the really kind words, this dragonfly was an exciting & unusual find for me, it is a VSOP and I love the deco detail on its wings. You're very kind I appreciate it
    34. Alan2310 Alan2310, 1 year ago
      Absolutely delightful to view, congratulation Jenny.
    35. Newfld Newfld, 1 year ago
      So grateful for the kind compliments Alan, this dragonfly was a rare find for me and I'm so appreciative of the love and thoughtfulness
    36. Newfld Newfld, 1 year ago
      Many thanks cindyjune for the love, I am so happy you enjoyed my dragonfly
    37. Newfld Newfld, 1 year ago
      Very pleased you enjoyed this jbingham95 and kwqd, thank you so much for the love
    38. Newfld Newfld, 12 months ago
      Mrcolorz and clockerman, really appreciate the love and very glad you liked the dragonfly
    39. Newfld Newfld, 11 months ago
      Thanks so much Pickaboo and MrsT for loving my special dragonfly, I really hope to be able to find another nice deco piece soon as this was a very different brooch than my usual
    40. JenniferH JenniferH, 11 months ago
      Such a beautiful piece of jewelry..a beautiful piece of art! This pin is so gorgeous I would be afraid to wear it!
    41. Newfld Newfld, 11 months ago
      You're right Jennifer, it is intimidating, I haven't worn it yet but thinking I could easily lose it & can never replace it :( Thank you for your kind & understanding comment, compliments and love
    42. Newfld Newfld, 11 months ago
      Thank you Gillian and clockerman for the love, so pleased you enjoyed this dragonfly
    43. Newfld Newfld, 11 months ago
      Many thanks for the love ho2, it's very kind of you and much appreciated
    44. OldeAsDirt OldeAsDirt, 11 months ago
      I adore dragonflies and the details on this piece are very creative. Nice find!
    45. Newfld Newfld, 11 months ago
      Thank you OldeAsDirt for the very nice comment, very glad you liked this - I like dragonflies too, but better in jewelry than the real buzzer lol